Sunday 7 September 2014

The Game of Likes

Facebook is a very competitive social media website in my opinion. It seems that all people do is compete as to who can achieve the most amount of 'likes' on their dp or status. In a way I feel like people have gotten to the point that facebook likes are now a means of determining your own status in school, work or anywhere really.

I am not exempt from this in any way! The only reason I am writing this blog post is because I suddenly just became aware of the fact that I purposely make an effort to compare the amount of likes I get to one of my friends or the 'popular' girls in my year. How stupid is that? It's ridiculous but I know sooo many people do it.

I mean I dont have an excessive amount of likes on my dp, and I know some of my friends have heaps more, but worth or who you are as a person should not be determined by how many likes you get! I mean pressing the 'like' button is not a big effort really, so why do we obsess over it so much?

I guess some people take comfort or reassurance from the fact that people like or acknowledge them when they post a new dp, but doesn't this point out other issues? For example, people need 'approval' from others in order to feel good about themselves?! Its just crazy!

Another thing I do (hope others do it to haha) is that if I meet someone new I automatically check how many likes they have.  If they have a similar amount to me than thats fine and dandy, but if they have a lot more I automatically feel in-superior to them and intimidated...SO STUPID.

All these things are just ridiculous. The press of the like button should not determine anything!

Rant over haha

xx Milly

No comments:

Post a Comment